I manage the business side of my wife’s popular blog, 100 Days of Real Food. We’ve sold $2.7 million worth of products through the Amazon Associates program to date (as of 9/15/14), so have learned a thing or two. Here’s how the year is looking so far.
Now of course we earn a relatively small commission on those sales, but that translates to 4 and 5 figure paychecks each month. And while we make money online through a variety of income streams (see How We Make a Full-Time Income Blogging), earning money through the Amazon Associates Program is by far my favorite method. Here’s why:
- It’s simple and easy.
- We earn money by doing something we already do anyway.
- We make a commission on the full basket, not just the products we link to.
- Everybody trusts purchasing through Amazon and enjoys the convenient shipping options. The resulting conversion rates are amazing (we’ve seen 10.6% average YTD!).
Get the Step by Step Deets
I’m working on an eBook documenting all that we’ve learned about selling on Amazon. Get on the list to be the first to know when it’s announced so you can hit the ground running and avoid wasted time and effort.
What You Can Expect
I’m writing to my “old self” so will be answering questions I had at the beginning, plus a bunch I didn’t even know to ask. I’m talking about questions like these:
- How do I open a new account and quickly create my first affiliate link?
- Given my traffic, how much money can I really expect to make?
- What are the top strategies for selling on a blog and on social media?
- How can I sell without being “salesy” and turning off my readers?
- What are the “no no’s” that will get my account shut down?
- How does the tiered commission structure work and how can I quickly get into the highest commission bracket?
- What are the “special pages” and widgets I can use to increase sales? Which should I avoid?
- What’s the best way to monetize my existing content?
- I’ve got some international traffic. What are some options for monetizing that?
- How do I generate different reports, and what can I learn from them?
- My state is ineligible for the Amazon Associates program. What are my options with Amazon? Are there alternatives?
I love spreading the word about the Amazon Associates program because it is the closet thing to passive income we’ve found, and the barrier for entry is so low. I hope you get on board!
AND get blog updates + instant access to my free ebook The Top 7 Mistakes New Bloggers Make…and How to Fix Them
A Note on Traffic
Just like any other component of your blog, nothing happens unless people visit it. So your two pronged strategy should be to 1) grow your traffic and 2) follow proven strategies for making money through your method(s) of choice (i.e. Amazon Associates, ad networks, affiliate products, etc.). I’m working on a blog income calculator that will help you estimate your earnings for real and hypothetical situations. If you’re subscribed to my email newsletter you’ll hear when it’s ready.
If you’re new here, be sure to check out my start here and resources pages. You might also be interested in Our Top 10 Earning Pages for the Amazon Associates Program. And as mentioned above, subscribe to my email newsletter to stay in the loop. In addition to blog updates, you’ll also get instant access to my free eBook, “The Top 7 Mistakes New Bloggers Make…and How to Fix Them.” You can also find me on Facebook.